As sad as it sounds, divorce is a reality. In fact, the United States has a higher divorce rate than most parts of the world. According to the CDC, the current divorce rate is just 2.5 per 1,000. Whatever the reasons, when you are getting divorced, you will have to think about a lot of things.
But first, you have to try to resolve the issues like asset division and child custody as amicably as possible. The truth is, most divorce cases don’t go to trial. Litigations are often long-drawn and expensive, which both parties want to avoid. Secondly, a hostile and emotional courtroom battle benefits no one. Rather, it complicates things.
In other words, mediation is the only way to resolve things quickly and cordially. And that’s where a mediation attorney in Utah can help. With professional Utah mediation services, you can avoid all the courtroom drama and get your life back on track as quickly as possible.
Let’s start with the basics.
What Is Mediation?
Mediation, also called alternate dispute resolution, brings both divorcing parties to a mutually acceptable agreement or resolution to their dispute. It involves a mediator who is a neutral third party. A mediator in Utah facilitates communication and negotiation between two parties. They also help both parties understand each other’s perspectives and encourage collaboration.
In Utah, the court will make at least one mediation session mandatory if you are going through a contested divorce. But you can ask for more mediation sessions if required. A mutual divorce doesn’t involve mediation. The court will provide you with one of the licensed Utah mediators to facilitate the process. You can also hire a Utah mediation lawyer to help you guide through the process and even help negotiate a settlement.
Key Aspects of Mediation
Mediation can be an effective alternative to litigation because it offers a unique approach to an increasingly hostile situation. Specific aspects of mediation may vary depending on your case. But here are some key aspects of working with Utah mediators.
- Neutral Mediator: Like any other jurisdiction, your mediator in Utah is impartial. They are solely here to help both parties find common ground.
- Confidentiality: Mediation proceedings are usually confidential. You get a safe space for open communication. No one will know about the details of the process except the parties involved, including your mediation attorney in Utah.
- Problem-Solving: Mediation focuses on problem-solving. Here, both parties work together to find mutually acceptable solutions. This helps shift your focus away from the blame game, which often delays divorce proceedings.
- No Lengthy Emotional Trials: Mediation saves you from an emotional, lengthy, and expensive trial. The process is designed to promote a dialogue. So, it concludes relatively quickly.
- Cost-Effectiveness: Mediation is often more affordable than a full-fledged court trial. Even though you hire a mediation attorney in Utah, it can significantly reduce legal fees and other associated costs. It is certainly much more cost-effective than a drawn-out trial.
- Reduced Stress: Divorce is stressful, no matter how amicable. Mediation can help relieve some of this stress. It can reduce hostility and hatred. In short, mediation can be less emotionally taxing than a contentious court battle.
- Informal Process: Mediation is less formal and adversarial than court proceedings. As a result, it usually leads to a more amicable post-divorce relationship. This is particularly important if there are children involved. You can still be the loving and caring parents they deserve after the divorce.
- Better Compliance and Satisfaction: Mediation keeps both parties in the driver’s seat. Although your Utah mediation lawyer helps, you and your soon-to-be ex participate and drive the negotiations.
And because both parties actively participate in creating their settlement agreements, they are more likely to comply with the terms. More importantly, both of you are more likely to be satisfied with the outcome, reducing the likelihood of future disputes.
Benefits of Hiring a Mediation Attorney in Utah
It is not legally binding to hire a mediation attorney in Utah. But, it is often advisable. Working with a competent attorney means you can rely on the terms of your divorce agreement. The final settlement is less likely to fall through the cracks. But hiring a Utah mediation lawyer also offers a few other unique benefits:
- Determine If Mediation Is a Good Fit: Mediation is a more cost-effective and quick way to resolve issues. But it may not always be the best option. It requires commitment from both parties. You also need honesty, transparency, and willingness to work together to resolve potential issues.
Your Utah mediation lawyer can study your case to determine if mediation is the right way for you to proceed. You may have to reconsider your options if your soon-to-be ex-partner wants to use mediation to hide assets or leave you with less than a good settlement. Your lawyer can help you make this decision.
- In-Depth Legal Knowledge: This is one of the primary benefits of hiring a mediation attorney in Utah. They have a deep understanding of the legal system. Plus, a competent and experienced family law lawyer knows how to navigate complex laws and regulations surrounding divorce.
They can help you understand the legal implications of your decisions and settlement before it all gets finalized. The bottom line is – you can work on creating a fair settlement to avoid future conflicts.
- Protect Your Rights: Utah mediators will not offer any legal advice. They are here to simply facilitate your dialogue with each other. However, your Utah mediation lawyer will protect your legal rights during the mediation. This will prevent the other party from taking your undue advantage or road-rolling you into an unfair settlement.
- Reduce Conflict and Emotional Stress: Although mediation is not a hostile trial, it can still cause considerable conflict and emotional stress. But professional Utah mediation services help you keep your emotions in check.
Your attorney can provide a neutral and objective perspective, which helps reduce conflict and stress. So, your lawyer can speed up the negotiations, leading to a quick but effective and acceptable agreement.
- Negotiation Skills: Most Utah mediation lawyers have extensive training and experience in divorce mediation. They know how the system works. More importantly, your lawyer is sensitive to the emotional/financial challenges you face in a divorce.
They can help you negotiate a settlement that benefits you and your soon-to-be ex. Your lawyer can explain your legal entitlements and obligations. They can help you draw a negotiation strategy to ensure a successful mediated settlement.
Divorce is never easy, especially when contested by the other party. Fortunately, you can find a peaceful resolution through mediation. You can come to the table with an open mind and a willingness to find a mutually agreeable settlement. But you will still need an experienced mediation attorney in Utah. They can help protect your legal rights, negotiate a fair settlement, and reduce emotional stress. Consider these benefits and hire a competent lawyer before heading into the mediation process.
Are you looking for a skilled mediation attorney in Utah? Your search ends here. We are leading family law attorneys with years of experience. Please call us at (801) 521-4145 or complete our online contact form for a free consultation.